Banana & Passionfruit Soufflés
Ingredients (serves 6)
- 1 Tbs unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 Cup (110g) caster sugar, plus extra to sprinkle
- 3 Free-range eggs, separated
- 1 Ripe banana, mashed
- 4-5 Passionfruit (to give 100ml pulp, otherwise a tin of pulp can be purchased)
- Icing sugar, to dust
- Preheat the oven to 190C.
- Brush six 170ml soufflé dishes or ramekins with the melted butter and lightly sprinkle with a little extra caster sugar, tipping out any excess.
- In a large bowl, beat the egg yolks with 1/4 cup (55g) caster sugar using an electric mixer, until pale and smooth. Beat in mashed banana and passionfruit.
- In another large bowl, beat eggwhites to soft peaks. Gradually add the remaining 1/4 cup (55g) caster sugar and continue beating until you have glossy, stiff peaks. Using a large metal spoon, gently fold eggwhite, a little at a time, into the yolk mixture, taking care to keep as much air in the mix as possible.
- Fill soufflé dishes or ramekins to the brim and run your thumb around the inside edge of each ramekin (this will help the soufflés rise). Place on a baking sheet and bake on a rack just below the middle of the oven for 12-14 minutes until puffed and golden.
- Carefully remove the soufflés from the oven, then dust with icing sugar and serve immediately.